Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I've got the power!

Actually I don't, but I wish we did. Yesterday, John got home before me at 6:30 and said the power was out. No big deal, our power infrastructure is probably 50 years old, so we frequently have outages for a few hours. It's kind of nice being forced to be unplugged actually, usually I just head out to the front porch with a stack of magazines and some citronella candles and I am good to go. I got home a little after 8, and we still did not have power though. We found out it had been out since around 3 in the afternoon when a storm came through. I took Morgan on a walk around 8:45 and it became pretty obvious then why our whole neighborhood was out of power..







So by around 10 pm, we just decided to go to bed and read with a flashlight. It was 93 degrees so I just got cold washcloths and put them on us. It was still so hot. Neither of us slept much at all, I kept thinking that it would come back on any minute, but it did not. I showered in the dark this morning and went to work with wet hair.

It was inconvenient for sure, but more than anything, it made me realize how much we depend on power for everything. I am complaining about being without power for one night, but for some people it is an everyday reality. I even remember when the power would go out when we were growing up and we would have to call "time and temp" to get the time! Thankfully we have our cell phones now, but even our cell phones had run out of battery by the morning. It was amazing how quickly I was ready for work when I didn't have the Today show to tune into or internet to check!

I am just hoping they have everything fixed by tonight, I have learned my lesson about not taking power for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment