Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A roach

Aaah the joys of living in the South! Bugs. Since our house was built in 1941, it has its share of holes and gaps that little critters could slip though. So, it’s no surprise that from time to time, we see a bug. I’m ok with small bugs, but roaches really freak me out. I was listening to a segment on NPR the other day talking about how roaches can actually CRAWL IN YOUR EAR WHILE YOU ARE SLEEPING and they get stuck since roaches can only move one way. So, you can imagine my fright when I was just drifting off to sleep and I hear John say “don’t move.” That’s like saying, “don’t look” because of course I get up to see what he was talking about. Well this guy was on the wall right over the bed.





*Not the acutal roach, I did not have time to grab my camera
Photo from here


Of course I freaked out, which got Morgan all riled up. The disturbing thing was that up until this point, most of the roaches we have seen have been dead, but this guy was alive, crawling and around 2 inches long. He even fluttered his wings from time to time (I did not know roaches even had wings, but whatever). John finally captures the roach and Morgan turned into a little hunter wanting to find more. So, I thoroughly examined everything, took the sheets off and made sure my sleeping area was roach free. I kept feeling phantom roaches all night, I did not sleep well. So, the first thing when I got into work, I called the exterminator. She asked if I wanted the annual protection package which means they come out 4x a year and I said absolutely, sign us up. They are coming today at 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment