Saturday, July 24, 2010

12 weeks to better photography: the color of light

This weeks lesson is on the the color cast that various conditions emit and how to minimize them using the white balance setting on your camera. Outdoors, it does not matter as much, but indoors light can take on a yellow/orange color which makes photos (especially people) unflattering. Ok, so I have never changed the white balance setting on my camera before, so this was all new to me. I usually just shoot using AWB- or auto white balance. This is what happens when you use auto white balance:


Notice the color cast? Ok, so in order to tell the camera that the auto setting produces a bad tint with my indoor lighting, I had to tell my camera what white should look like. So, I took a picture of a plain white piece of computer paper and set that as my custom WB setting- then I got the picture below. Much better right?



No comments:

Post a Comment