Sunday, August 1, 2010

12 weeks to better photography: experimenting with fill flash

I have been dreading doing this challenge because I hate flash, but I didn't want to skip over it completely, so here we go. This week's lesson was about using fill flash, which still uses the flash, but instead the fill flash will just fill in areas that it thinks are poorly lit instead of lighting the entire subject. In order to test this out, I dragged John away from the new NCAA 2011 football game and asked him to be my subject- thankfully it was pretty cloudy outside so you can see some difference.


No flash


Full flash- yuck!


Fill flash- you can see that the colors in John's CSU shirt are brighter than in the first one, but there is no artificial glare like the second one.


So, I may have to give fill flash a try next time I want to try and get colors to pop outside!




No comments:

Post a Comment