Thursday, March 11, 2010

Germany Trip- 2008

Oftentimes, I will catch myself thinking about what I was doing at this same time last year, or 5 years ago... where was I living, what was going on in the world, etc and I often wonder the same about the future, where will I be in 5 years, what will technology be like, who will be president, what will be the latest food craze?  Well,
at this time 2 years ago, I was on my way to Frankfurt, Germany.  John had to go over there for work and had the ability to take a few days after for vacation while he was there, so I decided to go meet him and we were going to head down to Munich for a long weekend.  Now, this was about 2 1/2 weeks before our wedding, so I had a few things on my mind, but it turned out to be a great trip and I am so glad to have had the opportunity to visit and take a bit of a honeymoon before the wedding too.  I flew into Frankfurt and took a train to Cologne where John's meeting was. 

The first night, we stayed at the Schloss Auel which was a beautiful property about 20 min from Cologne. John still had meetings the afternoon I arrived, so Beth and I ventured out to explore Cologne a bit.

   Cologne Square

 
The famous Cologne Cathedral  


Lindt Chocolate Museum, yum!

The next day, we boarded a train bound for Munich! 

We started out by walking around the town a bit, the first thing we saw was a store that caught John's eye:

 

Then we made it to the Marienplatz and saw the gorgeous gothic architecture and the Glockenspiel show.  


 
View of Marienplatz from tower

We hiked a tower, and got some great shots of the city:


 
  

We also visited BMW and the Olympic village:
 
Corporate Offices at BMW- loved the building design
 
Olympic Village

 

Of course, no trip to Munich would be complete without a trip to the Hofbrauhaus.  In true fashion, we found a table and before long a few locals came and sat with us and before long we were sharing beer drinking games.  
 

One of my favorite things about Munich though would have to be the Viktualienmarkt.  It is like one huge farmers market, except it had everything and anything you could possibly want to eat or drink.  

 
Eating area

 

  

John loved that they had so many different deli's and meats available.  He bought some ham and mystery meat to bring back home, but it got taken away at customs.  Apparenlty you can't bring packaged meats into the US.  I wasnt too disappointed to see the meat go....



It was a great trip all in all, after we got back home, I remember trying to convince John to apply for jobs in the Germany office so we could move here, but that wore off after a few months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment