Saturday, September 25, 2010

12 weeks to better photography: landscapes

This week's lesson is on landscapes.  I usually don't photograph alot of landscapes, I think people are much more interesting! But, since I'm going through the whole 12 weeks of this, I did not want to skip over it.  I think the #1 rule when shooting landscapes is that you want a large depth of field.  Here are other tips:

1. Use a wide angle lens to include more of the setting
2. Find a bird's eye view- Here is a pic I took from an airplane as we were flying from San Juan Islands into Seattle:




3. Locate a focal point- This was taken last January in Sarasota

4. Consider composition & the rule of thirds- this was taken on our honeymoon in Belize- this was right outside our cabana!


5. Pay attention to the time of day- sunrises and sunsets are a great thing to capture and always seem to make landscapes more appealing- this photo below was taken of Ayers Rock in Australia- world's largest monolith.  It was taken before sunset, apparently this is the best time to see the colors come out on the rock and die-hard photographers were really into it.  I was just using my point and shoot at this time but I still think it's a pretty neat shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment